Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 04:13:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      FreeBSD user <freebsd@XtremeDev.com>
To:        Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security trial for BSD firewall box.

I know almost nothing about hacking. But what little I do know, know that
firewalls only play a small part in securing a server. You can have the
most well written firewall rule set that allows only smtp, and it can
still be hacked. Hackers root a system not through the firewall rules, but
through exploitable daemons. Run an smtp daemon that is unpatched and
rootable, and you're leaving yourself wide open. I'd worry more about your
choice of smtp daemons and your vigilance as a system admin in keeping up
with the necessary patches than about firewall rules. Or any other service
daemon's you plan on providing.

My 2 cents.