Date:      Sun, 08 Jan 1995 16:21:10 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hsu@cs.hut.fi, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Porting cyclades driver; sigh

> One final alternative may be a multiport driver binary compatability
> interface for BSDi drivers.  I've talked about doing this for SCO
> drivers, and if this is it, it's extremely desirable, and ought to
> be migrated to FreeBSD as soon as possible.

This would be wonderful (Really!  There is a LOT of SCO support out
there), but our problem is simply one of manpower.  Who on our team
really understand SCO well enough (or even runs it!) to even think of
doing this?  One guy (Soren) is all that comes to my mind.  That
makes an `as soon as possible' timeline for it later, rather than
sooner! :-(

> This condemning something because of its origin (note: NOT because of
> licensing -- that's perfectly reasonable to do) has got to stop.

Indeed.

Speaking of which, has anyone looked at BSDI's "mslip" stuff?  I
fetched it over the other day from ftp.bsdi.com and had a brief look.
The idea is certainly interesting!  Do load-balancing on a number of
slip lines simultaneously, all from the kernel (beats buying an
external bandwidth-on-demand cisco to do the same thing! :-).  I could
see buying another 28.8K slip line to try and see how close I could
get to 56K.. :-) Anyway, this is some neat technology they've put
together and we should see what's necessary for us to do the same.
When you live in the same CO as your service provider, buying multiple
voice lines and 28.8K modems isn't a bad way of ramping all the way
up to 128k (assuming perfect scalability for 4 lines, which we all know
ain't the case).  ISDN incurs per-minute costs which are untenable for
dedicated service.  A local call into your CO costs nothing! :)

					Jordan