Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:06:47 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>, "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Feeding the Troll (Was: freebsd as a desktop ?)

Ted writes:

> It does the job that Microsoft thinks you want
> done nicely.

Microsoft is right, for the most part.

> It doesen't do the job that _needs_ to be done
> nicely, nor is it easy to modify it to do so.

See above.

> Your not looking for it.

I looked for precise figures on software piracy.

> This is because Windows is so inflexible and
> limited that Microsoft had to graft all the terminal
> services onto it to be able to support this
> kind of thing.

No, it's because you are using the wrong tool for the wrong job.  Windows is not
a timesharing system, Microsoft's rather lame attempts at making it work in that
capacity notwithstanding.

> It's those kinds of bandaids are where you lose
> money by spending it on time.

Your example is very atypical, however.  Nobody asserts that Windows is a better
server or timesharing host.

> Getting from where Microsoft wants them to
> be to where the user wants Microsoft to be
> is very hard.

The success of Microsoft is evidence of the contrary.

You seem to have a very strong emotional investment in resentment of Microsoft.
On that path lies danger.

> But then you lose all that savings when Code Red
> or Nimba come around, because the idiot that set
> up the Windows webserver didn't know enough to lock
> it down.

You may not even notice the infection, and it's easy enough to fix, so loss is
minimal.  On a UNIX system, an idiot might have sendmail silently assisting
spammers, too.