Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 01:03:01 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Rahul Siddharthan" <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        "David Johnson" <djohnson@acuson.com>, <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   MacOS Themes, was RE: Windriver, Slackware and FreeBSD

This is fallout from the Napster decision, I wouldn't worry about it,
and indeed the entire Napster thing is just a rehash of the lawsuits
over the copy protection software that took place back in the 80's.

What the problem is, is that companies that have a lot of infringement
that takes place against their products, such as graphic design firms,
music producers, and the like, have been searching for ways to
technologically
impede copying of their stuff.  They tried in the 80's and failed.
Now they are trying again with things like CSS and such.  Apple's attempt
is to embed the material in the OS and then say that since reverse
engineering
the OS is illegal, it makes it illegal to copy their material.

What all these copyright holders have been seeking for years is either
legislation or caselaw in the US that in effect states that an entity that
manufactures
a device or software that aids in copying material that is technologically
impeded
from being copied, is aiding and abetting the actual copyright violation,
and
thus even though they are not actually performing the infringement
themselves,
they are just as guilty as the actual infringers.

If the copyright holders can obtain this legislation or caselaw, they can
then
put the people that write programs like DeCSS or the Themes editor in jail.
Thus,
this then makes the technological impedement they have designed actually
worthwhile.

The problem with Napster, is that they were so blatently and obviously
out-and-out
aiding and abetting music copyright infringers, (after all, a number of
internal
company e-mails and testimony was obtained that showed that the Napster
people
were encouraging people to violate copyrights) that it was possible for the
copyright holders to finally get a court to side with their viewpoint, and
thus they were able to obtain some case decisions that they can use in
future
court rulings.  Apple, being inspired by this, is going to attempt to jump
on
the bandwagon and try to get some more rulings.  I'm sure a lot of other
companies
will too.

The reason I wouldn't worry about it is that all of this runs afoul of what
you
would call the "political sanity test"  Simply put, Congress isn't going to
tolerate the courts putting people in jail for using some
copyright-infringing-enabler
program (like Themes editor) to modify their own copy of MacOS in their own
home
as long as they aren't selling the modified MacOS and thereby depriving the
copyright holder (Apple) of revenue.  Companies like Apple can wring their
hands all they want and
rattle on about "controlling the presentation of MacOS" but unless they can
prove
financial harm to themselves, Congress is going to do what the people want,
and if the
people want Themes for themselves they are going to get Themes for
themselves.

With Napster, it was easy to see that the major record companies were being
deprived of revenue by the existence of Napster.  But, nobody is going to
believe that Apple is
being deprived of revenue just due to the existence of MTE.  Nor is anyone
going to
believe that the major movie houses are being deprived of revenue just
because people
use DeCSS to view DVD's they bought from the store on their Linux systems.
So, even
if people like Apple and the Movie studios end up winning their politically
stupid lawsuits, all that will happen is the people will complain and
Congress will make another exemption in the copyright law (like they had to
for photocopiers) and that will be that.