Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:00:42 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Nenhum_de_Nos <matheus@eternamente.info>
Subject:   Re: portmaster on updates

First of all, I'm sorry to hear that you had problems.

On 06/13/10 13:35, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> In the recent gettext version bump, I did "portmaster -fRD -r gettext"

The -f in portmaster means "recompile the port, and everything that it
depends on" and really isn't necessary in combination with -r, which
means "recompile the port, and everything that depends on IT."

> (or something very similar) and had many instances of failure and
> restart with ports that were already installed and not as a result of
> the 'clutter' issue. I only had to cd to the port directory, 'make
> deinstall&&  make reinstall' and restart portmaster.

Without knowing more details it's hard for me to address this problem
directly. When things like that happens it's helpful to report it at the
time, and include logs. I can say that I have had this same problem
occasionally, and it's generally traced back to some sort of problem
with the ports tree. Portmaster is intentionally "dumb" in this regard,
it relies on the ports tree to tell it what needs to be done.

> Also, the -R often seemed to not work and I'd get the full list
> again. This made the process take a VERY long time.

Not sure what to tell you about that. Since the flags that -R is looking
for are only added after successful updates my guess is that when things
got interrupted that the flags were not added. Also, if you rebuild a
port by hand the flag will disappear because the ports infrastructure
doesn't know about them. That's by design.

> There have been a LOT of revisions to portmaster since the gettext
> bump, so this may be already addresses, but it was rather painful,
> especially on my rather slow laptop.

I haven't (intentionally) made any changes to the -r or -f code
recently. My suspicion is that most, if not all of your problems could
have been avoided by omitting the -f option. If you try that next time
and it doesn't work, please let me know.

Doug

			-- Propellerheads