Date:      Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:28:14 -1000
From:      Robert Marella <rmarella@gmail.com>
To:        "Michael C. Shultz" <ringworm01@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: If I have portmanager, do I need portupgrade?

Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> On Sunday 13 March 2005 12:40 pm, Chris wrote:
>
>>Chris Hodgins wrote:

>>>How long does it take to run portmanager.  Is it a similar amount
>>>of time as portupgrade for each run?
>>>
>>>Chris
>>
>>The time is about the same (in my experiance) AND (most importantly)
>>portmanager seems to handle upgrading better then portupgrade does.
>>
>>IE: Thunderbird, Gnome, Firefox.
>>
>>Another nifty thing is that portmanager creates a package and dumps
>>it in /usr/ports/mail/thunderbird (for example) and at least for me,
>>I can pkg_add that to my laptop since they both run 5.3
>

> Chris, check and see if you have a /usr/ports/packages directory.  If
> you do then all the packages will end up in /usr/ports/packages/All and
> a tree of symlinks will be made under /usr/ports/packages for the ports
> that have packages.
>
> For some reason when you first set up FreeBSD/ports it does not make
> the /usr/ports/packages directory so the packages end up in the ports
> directory, this isn't a good place for them, here is why:
>
> When a port is removed, see /usr/ports/MOVED, cvsup should be able to
> delete the directory but if a package is setting in there it can't, so
> over time you will come across port directories that have just a
> package in it and maybe a readme.html file but nothing else.  It will
> keep things leaner/cleaner if the packages directory exists.  I keep
> meaning to submit a PR about the missing packages directory but never
> seem to get around to it :(
>
> One other thing just to let you know, I've been testing portmanager
> against this new gnome update, when its done there is a bunch of
> gstreamer-plugins-* left un-upgraded.  I just tried
> pkg_delete -f gstreamer-plugins-* on them and let portmanager -u bring
> them back in, it seems to be working but I also cvsup'ed and there is
> so many new changes it will be awhile before I know for sure.
>
> Right now I'm telling anyone who asks to try  pkg_delete -f
> gstreamer-plugins-* first before upgrading with portmanager if they use
> gnome.
>
> -Mike

Mike

Like Chris I have packages scattered in my ports directories. I have
just started using Portmanager. I have now created /usr/ports/packages
directory. Do I need to move the packages one at a time from the
individual ports directories? Will running portmanager again find them
and move them?

Thanks for all the positive, active maintenance of this port.

Robert