Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 1997 14:09:35 +0100
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   help, running out of processes. :(

Hi,

Can someone please help me?  We've got a web machine thta is running out
of processes to the extent the it can't spawn CGI scripts anymore.  This
started happening when I upgraded from 2.1.7.1 to 2.2.2.

The web server runs under the a non-priv user called webboss.  We usually
unlimit the number of processes and openfiles in a startup script that unlimits
the shell before firing up 'httpd' (apache).

I've created a class called 'web' in /etc/login.conf with limits of 1000
processes and 2000 files (we've got a USERS 128 in the kernel).  I've attached
this class to the 'webboss' user in the passwd file.  We're still getting
'out of processes' errors for this user though.  When this last happened
a 'ps -aux | grep ^webboss | wc' showed 150 processes running for webboss,
and I couldn't 'su -m weboss' from root.

Does anybody know how login.conf works?  It's not clear to me from the
manual whether it's values act globally, or only for users that have logged
in?
What can I do to fix this problem.  It's causing us major problems at
the moment.

Joe

p.s. the passwd(5) man page still shows that the class field is unused.  This
isn't the case anymore is it?
--
Josef Karthauser
Technical Manager       Email: joe@pavilion.net