Date:      Tue, 08 Sep 1998 08:45:59 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <reyesf@newsguy.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "GenoWillis@aol.com" <GenoWillis@aol.com>
Subject:   Re: ?? from a Newbie

On Mon, 7 Sep 1998 22:22:24 EDT, GenoWillis@aol.com wrote:

>Where can I find out what programs and applications are available and how to
>start using them?   Where do I go to download FreeBSD?  Where do I go to learn
>how to use it?  I'm FAR from a whiz so don't start going geekish on me!  ;o)

For FreeBSD check out www.freebsd.org in specific the FAQ and
Handbook. These two sections have most of the information you need
about FreeBSD.

About Unix.. There are lots of books. I believe there is a list of
books somewhere in the freebsd pages, but in general best if you go
to your local bookstore. Check out different books and look for Unix
intro type of books. Don't buy anything that seems to be a
"reference" or at least not as your only book.

One book I recommend to friends who are just starting Unix from
scratch is Unix companion by Harley Hahn.

Something else which I highly recommend is get a good tape backup and
software and make sure you have all your data on tape before  you
start playing around with partitions. Also make sure you have a good
backup by restoring at least a file or directory. Have a DOS/Win95
boot floppy at hand.

Lastly, although many here may be able to give you pointers believe
us/me when we tell you that your best way to learn is just to try
things yourself and to read the FAQ and handbook.