Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 1996 22:14:54 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        ian@gamespot.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 1250 simultaneous sessions? (Re: Internet Server?)

>> From:          James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
>> Subject:       Re: Internet Server?
>> To:            sai@ebara.co.jp
>> Date:          Tue, 23 Jul 1996 20:14:35 +0000 ()
>> Cc:            freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>> Yes indeed, it's used by many Internet Service Providers across the
>> world; the most famous example is probably Walnut Creek's FTP
>> server, which can support up to 1250 simultaneous clients.
>>
>What kind of hardware and what kernel tweak is being used that can handle
>1250 simultaneous sessions??  I was wondering what the upper limit of
>fbsd's memory capacity is, I'm thinking of moving a 64 meg ram
>machine to 128 megs (simms are sooo cheap these days!).

   You'll need 1/2 GB of RAM and a few kernel patches to handle 1200 users.
The kernel patches are needed because the kernel virtual address space needed
to handle about 2000 TCP connections is quite large and requires that the
kernel virtual start address be moved down in memory.
   Anyone who is (really) serious about setting up such a machine should send
me email and I'll help set it up. Wimpy 300 user machines require no special
kernel hacks. :-)
   I'm also using a special version of wu-ftpd on wcarchive that's been
significantly hacked on by me. It runs as a daemon (reducing startup overhead),
has a lower memory requirements, and has higher performance. I have no plans
on contributing this code for general use (I don't want to be personally
responsible for it's wide-spread use), but I have given it out to select
people who are serious about running a large FTP server (see above).

-DG

David Greenman