Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 14:11:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates panic in 3.3-RC

:Our ftp server crashed early this morning with what appears to be a softupdates
:error:
:
:> Sep 13 09:56:19 stumble /kernel: pid 41477 (perl), uid 0 on /exports/share3/ftp/.2: file system full
:>
:> panic: softdep_write_inodeblock: indirect pointer #0 mismatch 0 != 15597568
:> syncing disks... panic: softdep_lock: locking against myself
:
:'perl' would have been the nightly mirror(1) run to sync up our ftp site.
:
:What additional details would be usefull?  We didn't have crashdumps enabled
:on this machine, so a backtrace is not fully possible, although it would seem
:the contextual evidence for what went wrong is strong.
:
:--
:David Cross                               | email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
:Systems Administrator/Research Programmer | Web: http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~crossd
:Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute,         | Ph: 518.276.2860

    Softupdates has known bugs relating to filesystem full conditions which
    I believe Kirk is working on.  There isn't much you can do until then
    other then either disable softupdates or work to avoid the disk-full
    condition.  The panic does not occur very frequently so working
    to avoid the disk-full condition is what I would recommend.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>