Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 2003 20:20:19 -0600
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <brandon@dvalentine.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Kieren MacMillan <kmacmillan@coresolutions.ca>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: anyone working on a new file system metaphor?

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 10:03:48AM -0800, Wes Peters wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:03:15 -0500
> Kieren MacMillan <kmacmillan@coresolutions.ca> wrote:
>
> > Hello, all you BSD hackers!
> >
> > A major change to the "file-folder-desktop" metaphor is long
> > overdue, and it seems to me that FreeBSD -- with Mac OS X as a large
> > and growing "child" -- is the perfect place to start the
> > revolution...  ;-)
>
> Do you envision this as an actual new filesystem, or strictly as a
> user interface 'view' onto the filesystem?  A filesystem with
> extensible attributes might be a good companion to such a system,
> where you can tag a file with one or more attributes, then sort and
> view the files by attribute.

This is, essentially, BFS from BeOS.

If the technology makes a significant reemergence I would expect it come
in the reverse direction -- from Apple, since they now employ Dominic
Giampaulo.

Brandon D. Valentine
--
brandon@dvalentine.com                           http://www.geekpunk.net

"Everyone's been sold American.  Don't let me catch you laughing when
the jukebox cries...Everything's been sold American.  No place to go and
brother, no place to stay."  -- Kinky Friedman, "Sold American"