Date:      Fri, 15 May 2015 08:42:32 +0200
From:      Marko =?UTF-8?B?Q3VwYcSH?= <marko.cupac@mimar.rs>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: poudriere jail as root on nfs?

On Thu, 14 May 2015 09:36:29 -0500
Brandon Wandersee <brandon.wandersee@zoho.com> wrote:

> On 05/14, Marko Cupa=C4=87 wrote:
> > Hi,
> >=20
> > I was wondering if poudriere jails created with ftp can be exported
> > via NFS and mounted from diskless clients as described in handbook:
> >=20
> > https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/network-diskless.html
> >=20
> > Are they 'complete' jails, with the same functionality as ones
> > created with:
> >=20
> > # cd /usr/src
> > # make buildworld
> > # make buildkernel
> > # make installworld DESTDIR=3D${NFSROOTDIR}
> > # make installkernel DESTDIR=3D${NFSROOTDIR}
> > # make distribution DESTDIR=3D${NFSROOTDIR}
> >=20
>=20
> I believe the answer may be "Yes," but why?

Because creating a jail with poudriere takes a minute, while creating
it in a traditional (buildworld/buildkernel) way takes an hour. Things
get even more complicated with buildworld/buildkernel if I need
multiple versions and architectures while with poudriere it's very
easily achieved.

> The package repository is separate from the jail. Unless you have
> some exceptional case there's really nothing in the jail itself worth
> exporting over a network.

I need the jail itself, in order to mount it as / over NFS on a diskless
client.

--=20
Marko Cupa=C4=87
https://www.mimar.rs