Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 12:17:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/bin/sleep sleep.c

:Will the knobs allow one to link /bin and /sbin against full blown
:libc?  That would be nice as we can then start using pam and user
:management in / with dynamic modules (finally!).
:
:--
:-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]

    I think that should be a goal.  I think something like this:

    USE_MINIC=YES	Link against the mini-C library.

    USE_SHARED_BIN=YES	Link against a shared libc or mini-C rather
			then linking statically.

    All mini-C is is the full blown C library minus some of
    the larger chunks of bloat.  e.g. no locale, smaller
    but less efficient malloc, and a trimmed down printf.
    At least that is what it is turning out to be.  Even
    programs like /bin/rm require DBM and syslog.  It can
    get nasty real fast.

    Basically libminic will override particular source files
    in libc to generate the smaller footprint.

    If we want to trim down mini-C further, removing things
    like DBM, we could, but then we would not be able to use
    mini-C for all of bin and sbin.

					-Matt