Date:      Thu, 04 Feb 1999 12:19:20 +0000
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   contiguous memory allocation

Hi,

With the recent VM code changes, is there a way to get a contiguous
block of memory allocated after boot time?

The bt848 driver is simplified if the frame buffer images are
grabbed into is a contiguous block of memory.
This is why the memory (768x576*3 bytes or 1.2 MegaBytes) is
allocated at boot time.

Porting of the bt848 driver to an LKM was abandoned, because
there was no contiguous memory alloction once user programs were
running and memory was fragmented. (Randall worked on this)

Has this changed recently, or are we still in the same position?

Thanks
Roger

p.s., I know the bt848 can write pixels to arbritary pages, but
contiguous allocation is much simpler than having the driver
know the details of many scattered memory pages.

--
Roger Hardiman        | Telepresence Research Group
roger@cs.strath.ac.uk | DMEM, University of Strathclyde