Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 20:16:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      locke@mcs.net
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/17965: vr (MII-bus version in 4.0 ONLY) driver lock-up problems

>Number:         17965
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       vr (MII-bus version in 4.0 ONLY) driver lock-up problems
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD matrix.bilogic.org 4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #15: Wed Apr 12 21:39:05 CDT 2000

Moderate to heavy traffic load on the vr card can periodically cause
the network to completely freeze up (all connections die, everything
unreachable with ping, etc) for about 10-30 secs.  Also, the following
message appears in the system log:
vr0: watchdog timeout

If the network stays down for longer than 10 secs or so, multiple
copies of the above message appear in the system log (I got up to 20+
once).

Also, I have also seen the "rx error: unknown rx error" message
in syslog (see kern/17866), but that is much less frequent than the
"watchdog timeout" message.
>How-To-Repeat:
Any sort of moderate to heavy traffic load (Samba, FTP, etc) can cause
the card to lock up for a relatively short period of time (10-20 secs).
>Fix:
Get to a pre-MII-bus version by doing the following:
Back out /src/sys/pci/if_vr.c to version 1.17
Back out /src/sys/pci/if_vrreg.h to version 1.6
Recompile kernel. Reboot (there might be syslog messages about miibus
conflicts.. haven't tried to track them down yet, they're probably due
to not removing mii bus from my kernel config).