Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 14:34:48 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, blkirk@float.eli.net, jdn@acp.qiv.com, tlambert@primenet.com, sbabkin@dcn.att.com, Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

On Tue,  3 March 1998 at 12:10:08 -0800, Simon Shapiro wrote:

> On 03-Mar-98 Greg Lehey wrote:

>> Obviously there are a number of problems.  But in fact it's not as
>> difficult as it sounds.  There's a problem with RAID 5 anyway if
>> there's, say, a power failure during a write.  After bringing it back
>> up again, you can recognize that there's a parity error, but where?
>
> This sounds like an uncomitted transaction.  Quite easy to arrange for a
> rollback at boot time.  You keep such gems in NVRAM, for example, or in a
> known place on the disks, or you implement a journal, or...

Sure, if you're doing it in hardware.

>> Does that make sense?  I'll try to formulate it more clearly if
>> anybody has difficulty with the concepts.
>
> The only problem I have here, is the assumption that the O/S will do all
> that.  Not only it consumes much CPU, I/O bus, memory bandwidth, etc., but
> O/S crashes are the number one cause of failure in any modern
> computer.

Sure.

> Putting all this logic there is asking for it to crash frequently,
> and run under load all the time.

I don't think you can assume that.  The load depends on the input.
The reliability depends on the quality of the code.

> I think that the RAID logic should be outside the VPU/O/S proper,
> just like CRC checking is not done in the CPU anymode, and since
> SCSI and IDE, so is data separation, PLL detection loops, etc.  If
> your data is so important to you, spend few dollars to get it done
> in a predictable and reliable manner.

You've made the point: spend a few dollars.  It's a tradeoff between
speed and cost.

> BTW, Since 1984 or so, I NEVER lost data due to disk failure.

I have.

> I lost a LOT of data due to O/S failures, and some data due to bugs
> in RAID logic.

That, too, but *much* less.  Maybe you've been using different
operating systems?

> Although I do not belive Seagate's claim for 1,000,000 hours MTBF, I
> think the realized MTBF will far exceed any FreeBSD uptime.

Especially not when it comes from Seagate :-)

Greg