Date:      Fri, 02 Nov 2001 00:52:19 +0900
From:      Fuyuhiko Maruyama <fuyuhik8@is.titech.ac.jp>
To:        SUGIMURA Takashi <sugimura@YasudaKei.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: J2SE 1.3.1 patchset 5 /w JSSE 1.0.2 core dumps

On Thu, 01 Nov 2001 23:42:58 +0900 (JST), SUGIMURA Takashi wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> Hello,
>
> I am developing a commercial network software with FreeBSD by Java,
> I often get the core on threaded programs using JSSE 1.0.2.
>
> When a SSL connection begins, it often makes SIGBUS and SIGABRT
> as the attached log. SeedGenerator class is called from java.net.* classes,
> and it calls System.gc() to fail. This failure occures not always,
> at 1 time of a rate to about 10 times.
>
> On such a threaded program, can System.gc() be called safely?
> And can I avoid this problem?
At least with green_threads, System.gc() should never have any problems
timing related to timing.  So if gc causes a problem, it shows that
there is something wrong with FreeBSD's port.  Your logs seem to
show java.lang.Runtime.gc(Native Method) causes SIGBUS as you think,
but it is quite difficult to understand what's exactly happen on your
program only with your logs.

Can you try to check the stack trace with gdb?

$ setenv DEBUG_PROG=gdb
$ java_g
gdb> r ARGUMENTS_YOU_WANT_TO_GIVE_JAVA_COMMAND
...when SIGBUS is caused
gdb> bt