Date:      Fri, 06 Apr 2007 11:48:00 +0200
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using xdm and twm on freebsd 6.2

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 20:51:10 -0400
Jim Seymour <jim@wingbarscafe.com> wrote:

> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc" refcount is 2,
> should be 1; fixinng.

This message is harmless.

> AUDIT: Thu Apr 5 20:40:04 2007: 726 X: client 2 rejected from local
> host

Hmm, it seems your session isn't authorized. Have you changed any of
the files in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm ?
If not, you should have a
directory /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/authdir/authfiles

which should contaion one or more files. Mine is
root@kg-jobbpc3# ll /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/authdir/authfiles/*
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  89 Apr  5 22:06 /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/authdir/authfiles/A:0-dZ6s4M

> When I boot it loads xdm. When I try to log in, the screen goes blank
> and then comes back to the login screen. Ideas....

This is what it does if for any reason your session can't get started. 'man xdm' contains a lot of info....
What does the messages in /var/log/xdm.log say?

HTH
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,