Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 16:15:59 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Rahul Siddharthan" <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Why are people against GNU? WAS Re: 5.0 already?

> > This assertion is a trap and a snare. The moment *one contributor*
> > submits new code under the new license, the entire work is
> > contaminated by the new license.  Stallman is being disingenuous, as

> If you are the maintainer, you don't have to accept code under the
> new license.  And if someone chooses to fork your code, they don't
> need the benefit of a new license to do it.  This has been gone
> through enough times on this thread.

	Right, Rahul. You're absolutely right. When Linus realized that the GPL was
causing him problems, he just should have removed from the code base every
single piece of code he didn't write himself and start over with a better
license. That's much smarter than just picking a better license in the first
damn place.

	Linus' mistake was that he yielded the ability to fix defects in the
license to someone else when he could just as easily have kept it for
himself. In other words, he got screwed because he chose to use the GPL
instead of a saner license.

	I keep hearing that Stallman plans to fix this in the next GPL. Maybe he
will and maybe he won't. But from what I've read of what he's said, he's
quite happy with the present mess.

	DS