Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 15:18:42 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        ccsanady@friley-185-205.res.iastate.edu (Chris Csanady)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How many people use VI?  This is unbelievable..

Chris Csanady wrote:
> I unfortunately have a lot of data to type in, and to my surprise
> the keypad is unuseable in vi.  It doesn't even work in vim.  Thank
> god it works on Irix--I thought I would be using ee.
>
> Anyways, here is what happens when I type the digits 1-9 on the
> keypad while in insert mode..

FWIW, this message is being edited with vi on a 2.2.8-STABLE machine
rlogged in from a dxterm running on an OSF/1 box. The keyboard is one
of DEC's LK401 things with the funny "Do" keys etc from back when VAX
was just a twinkle in PDP's eye. I have TERM=vt100 in my FreeBSD
environment, dxterm configured with the "Numeric Keypad" option checked
and vt100 emulation, so keypad keys are 0.123456789, just like you'd
expect. It's not vi that's the problem, just your termcap setting doesn't
match the keyboard.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137