Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 20:23:23 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        "R. David Murray" <bitz@bitdance.com>, Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>, "Corey G." <cgaff@flashcom.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggestion for change of /usr/src/UPDATING (was: Re: HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to make yer kernels)

On Wed 2000-08-02 (12:11), Warner Losh wrote:
> No.  shutdown now takes you all the way down to "hit any key to
> reboot"  *AND* you want to reboot.

'shutdown now' puts you (or at least me on my machines) into single user
mode.  'shutdown -h now' halts you, and 'shutdown -r now' reboots you.

> Yes.  You want the new kernel before you reboot.  And the new
> kernel makefiles install the modules.  The reboot is to run the new
> kernel so that the binaries build will run.  I'm not 100% sure if this
> is still required or not, given some of marcel's recent cross building
> changes.

Marcel's changes mean that you the tools you use to install the world
are ones that you can run with the old kernel.  However, once they're
installed, you may not be able to run the new binaries with the old
kernel.  In all, you "should" boot the kernel, and you "might" get away
with not doing it, but "you're on your own" if you mess up.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Sunesi Clinical Systems