Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 10:15:01 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Am I wrong or is this just stupid?

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
> > Hmm, I guess its because we wan't to build our tools etc, with the
> > newest version.. This would resolve some (but not all) bootstrap
> > problems in the tools...
>
> But you would anyway.  Once you've done the bootstrap, the new tools
> are installed and leaving the binaries in the tree won't change a
> thing - everything subsequent will still be linked with the new copies.

But they won't be re-built with the new 'build-tools', which may have
bugs in them such as the -O2 -fno-strength-reduce bugs fixed a while
back.  So, the lib-tools will be buggy if the build-tools are buggy.

> Like I said, I think there's no logical reason at all for this.

There *is* a logical reason, but it's not always necessary when the
build-tools don't change.  But, generally speaking they do change
between releases, although they haven't since 2.0.5, but will change in
2.2 I suspect, so it will be relevant there.

> Furthermore, here's my make world time for the standard tree:
>
>      6366.76 real      4213.03 user       711.55 sys
>
> And for a tree which has make depend and make all combined:
>
>      6189.28 real      4215.11 user       706.74 sys

< 3% isn't much for the possibility of getting buggy lib-tools, which
could theoretically affect things adversely.

Nate