Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 07:27:45 -0500
From:      devin-freebsdquestions@rintrah.org
To:        Marco Radzinschi <marco@radzinschi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NTP behind NAT box?

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 08:56:10AM -0500, Marco Radzinschi wrote:
> Hello:
>
> 	I am running ntpd on a machine behind a router which is taking
> care of NAT.  I have the router forwarding UDP packets on port 123 to said
> machine, and NTP is working.
>
> Now, do I really need to be forwarding UDP/123 to that machine, or will
> ntpd work without it?

ntpd will make outbound connections to sync the box it is running on with
whatever ntp server you connect to in the outside world.

in this case you don't need to be forwarding port 123 to it (in fact, that might
be a bad idea...)

On the other hand, if you need to sync from outside your router in to your ntpd
machine, then you do need to forward that port.

> I am assuming it won't, as I have had trouble with it before, but I want
> to make sure.

It should work for syncing the time on that machine.

--devin

--
Mathematicians are like Frenchmen: whatever you say to them they
translate into their own language, and forthwith it is something