Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:33:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sysctl kern.fallback_elf_brand

On 23-Feb-01 Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> David O'Brien wrote:
>>
>> The real fix is to teach the ELF image loader to read the .note.ABI-tag
>> section.  Then statically linked Linux binaries would be correctly
>> identified [since our branding scheme isn't accepted by anyone other than
>> us].
>
> The use of the section seems broken to me. It's the first time I've
> heard of it (so I won't really know how it's used :-). AFAICT, ABI
> information is written in e_ident[EI_OSABI] and annotated with flags in
> e_flags. That should be enough for our ELF loader.

I talked with O`Brien about this today.  Many other people view this field as
being used when you _extend_ the ELF specification itself.  Not as a mechanism
for running a plain ELF binary and marking which set of system calls, etc. it
assumes.  The other method is apparently already used by Linux, BSD/OS,
{Net,Open}BSD, etc.  I.e., by the rest of the world.