Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 09:13:35 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        dave <dleimbac@earthlink.net>
Cc:        Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (Freebsd doesn't see disks larger than 8gb; was: "No Subject")

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 02:26:57AM -0500, dave wrote:
> I seem to remember that non BX intel motherboards <pre BX> don't recognize
> more than 8GB in  the BIOS.  I think linux had some kind of workaround for
> this <not use the BIOS :)>
>
> You may be experiencing a similar problem.
>
> I have a 15 GB drive :)
>
> Dave

Linux doesn't have a "workaround" of not using the BIOS. In fact, no
modern system uses the BIOS to do disk access. The only time the BIOS is
an issue is during boot time, and if your BIOS can't support
high-cylinder boot, you need to make sure that the bootcode is within
1024 cylinders of the start, regardless of the operating system. Once
the bootstrap is complete, the limitation is purely software-based.

I have a 20G drive in FreeBSD, so don't tell me it doesn't support them.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx