Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 20:23:15 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: M$ refund..

Drew Baxter wrote:

> At 01:54 PM 1/21/99 +0100, Peter Brevik wrote:
> >
> >             About getting refund on M$ os bundling.
> >
> >As I understood when you buy from US, M$ os get supplied, and you have to pay
> >for it.. however, I have always bought my computer in parts in Sweden.
> >And no one ever forced me to buy M$ os with it. Is this not an option in US ?
> >
> >                /Peter
>
> This is true for cases when you buy your machines in parts.  My machine was
> built from high-grade Supermicro equipment, and it did not come with Windows.
>
> There are many companies here (I.e. Dell, Gateway 2000, etc) that have a
> binding contract with Microsoft.  You have to have A copy of Windows come
> with the machine.  Gateway 2000 offers an upgrade to NT 4 Workstation for
> something around 99 dollars during initial order of your machine.
>
> Microsoft locks in companies with cheaper rates on Windows bulk packs and
> licenses in many cases.  Gateway 2000 is not able to ship their machines
> with Linux or with no operating system because of this bind with Microsoft.
>  This in itself could vastly affect the possiblity of Alternative OSes
> (FreeBSD, et al) being available with a NEW PC.  Microsoft sees the threat
> that Free UNIXes have proposed thusfar and is not likely to make it easy to
> move forward more.

Can you, or anyone, clarify something here.

I seem to remember that this practice of binding PC suppliers into
agreements whereby they _have_ to pre-install a copy of Windozw on
_every_ PC they sell was ruled illegal in the US several years ago.

Was it not the subject of another anti-trust suit against M$, that in
part led to this current case because the DOJ claimed that M$ were not
abiding by the earlier ruling and that was what the $1M per day "fine"
they (the DOJ) were seeking was about?.

BTW, I spell checked this e-mail and Netscape threw up "FreeBSD" as an
unknown word. The _only_ suggestion it offered was "friends".

Nice to know someone likes us :-)

> I think it's intriguing that something free is getting more media play
> lately than Microsoft paying for ad spots and getting into legal trouble.  :-)
>
> ---
> Drew "Droobie" Baxter
> Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
> OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
> http://www.droo.orland.me.us
>
> PGP ID: 409A1F7D

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.