Date:      Mon, 03 Feb 2003 11:38:40 +0000
From:      David Larkin <David.Larkin@djl.co.uk>
To:        Wiroth Didier <didier.wiroth@mcesr.etat.lu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 configuration

Wiroth Didier wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:35:14 +0000
>  David Larkin <David.Larkin@djl.co.uk> wrote:
> > I just installed 4.7 on a new machine and all seems well
> > except the XFree86 is only working on the default VGA
> > mode.
> What previous step did you make, or what have you done
> here?
> Did you type: startx

I use 'xdm'

> > Configuring X is a complete nightmare, am I missing
> > something ?
> >
> > I haven't a clue what sync rates my monitor has and have
> > no manual for it.,
> Have a look here:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.html
> >
> > also I intend moving the server to a new office where it
> > will be attached
> > a different monitor.
> >
> > I've tried selecting various options from the various
> > menus but all
> > that happens is my screen blinks and I have to reboot and
> > try again
> > with the same result.
>
> BE AWARE THAT A BAD CONFIGURED XF86Config CAN KILL YOUR
> MONITOR!!

I'm happy to take my chances, it's a $50 monitor holding up up a $1000s
job

> > Apart from the fact it doesn't work, does it generate an
> > error log
> > somewhere
> > so I can try and work out the problem ?
> Yes, /var/log/XFree86.0.log

Thanks this helps a bit

> > Is there no standard config which would allow something
> >  better than
> > VGA. I don't need to squeeze the last drop of performance
> > out of the
> > monitor/graphics card, just get something useable up and
> > running.
> 1) You will need to know what Montior Model it is!
> Find out the exact modell and look at google for the
> specifications of your monitor, you will need the
> Horizontal and Vertical refresh rates!

It is a LITE ON CM-1769MCLR but I can find no details about it.
It says 50-60Hz on the back but not sure what that refers to

BEsides, I think the problem is with graphics card not monitor

> 2) You will also need information about your graphic
> adapter (or if your are lucky "XFfree86 -configure") will
> auto-detect the chip

I'm informed that the graphics is SIS 630/730

dmesg reports ......

pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1039, dev=0x7018) at 1.4 irq 11
pcib2: <PCI to PCI bridge (vendor=1039 device=0001)> at device 2.0 on
pci0
pci1: <PCI bus> on pcib2
pci1: <SiS model 6300 VGA-compatible display device> at 0.0
pcib1: <SiS 5591 host to AGP bridge> on motherboard
pci2: <PCI bus> on pcib1

The XFree86 setup gives me a choice between

SIS 300
SiS 540
SiS 540
Sis 5597
SiS 630 (SIS530)
SiS 630 (SIS630)
SiS SIS6326

I think I've tried them all, SiS 630 (SIS630) reports

(II) Module mouse: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        Module class: XFree86 XInput Driver
        ABI class: XFree86 XInput driver, version 0.3
(II) SIS: driver for SiS chipsets: SIS5597, SIS530, SIS6326, SIS300,
        SIS630, SIS540
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
(WW) SIS: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:0)
found
(EE) No devices detected.

the screen fliers briefly and then nothing