Date:      Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:49:25 +0200
From:      Ed Schouten <ed@fxq.nl>
To:        Benjamin Sher <delphi123@zebra.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: After Install -- Where is FreeBSD?

--uc35eWnScqDcQrv5

Hello Benjamin,

* Benjamin Sher <delphi123@zebra.net> wrote:
> Well, the good news is that my first install of FreeBSD went
> perfectly. I selected ALL for installation of ports and packages so it
> took a good hour to install everything from my two CD's. And some of
> the packages encountered an error and could not be installed (they
> told me to look in the debugger for details).
>=20
> Windows XP came through completely unscathed and in perfect working
> order on my first primary HD.
>=20
> All that's missing now is FreeBSD. After completing my install, I
> exited. FreeBSD exited normally, then rebooted. But no sign of
> FreeBSD. Instead, Windows came up. I do recall choosing to have a boot
> manager but never actually saw the screen and boot-up options. So, I
> went back into Free BSD by switching back to the CD in my Bios, but
> that's as far as I dare go on my own. What should I do? Am I missing
> something?

We really appreciate your interest in the FreeBSD operating system.
There's only one small thing I'd like to point you at and that's that
<freebsd-current@freebsd.org> is supposed to be a mailing list about the
development about the FreeBSD OS development tree (FreeBSd 6.0 at the
moment).

I guess the people at <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org> could be more
useful to you. I've already CC'd this message to them, so I hope that
they'll mail back to you.

I do have one tip for you about your problem; if you've installed
FreeBSD on a machine with multiple harddisks (first disk Windows, second
disk FreeBSD) and your BIOS is set up to boot from the first harddisk
(HDD-0), it will just boot Windows, without even' looking at the
bootloader on the second harddisk. Search for the 'Boot device priority'
options in your PC BIOS Setup.

Good luck!

Yours sincerely,
--=20