Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 2004 21:08:57 +0100
From:      Martin <nakal@nurfuerspam.de>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Update to -STABLE breaks re(4)

Hi,

today I've compiled new world and kernel. Last kernel was
from November, I think.

The platform is amd64, mainboard Gigabyte K8VNXP. I'm
talking about -STABLE here (RELENG_5 tag).

(I've deleted /usr/obj before making world and used
the usual procedure to update.)

After reboot, re(4) "Realtek RTL8110S" could not be detected
automatically. It is statically compiled into the kernel.
The dmesg said something like "Could not send TCP packet in
loopback mode" or similar.

I tried "kldload if_re". It worked fine (e.a. the interface
works after /etc/netstart restart), but I got few
warnings ("already exists").

Next, I added if_re_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf (tried
a workaround). The PC always rebooted before reaching the
"beastie menu".

I can boot now using /boot/loader.old and the
re(4)-module seems to load with same warnings as above.

If I remove if_re_load="YES", even using the old loader
my re0 won't be detected (same problem as above).

Conclusion:
It seems there are two problems. The new loader seems
to crash while loading if_re (maybe because of the handling
of the warning). And something changed in the detection routine
of the re(4) driver, which broke support for RTL8110S.

--

I won't have access to this PC until after New Year, so it
will be difficult to do further research. I can imagine that

Martin