Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:31:48 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why is the STABLE branch not so stable anymore?

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 10:55:27PM -0400, Chris BeHanna wrote:

>     Suggestion:  committers hold off on commits for 30 minutes before
> and after midnight UTC, so that those who track stable can grab the
> tree as of midnight each night knowing that they didn't do so in the
> middle of a large commit.

Well, to be frank, I always try to avoid having a source tree thats
updated while some large commit takes place.  I keep a local copy of
the CVS repository, updated from cvsup.gr.freebsd.org in my /home/ncvs
directory, and `cvs update' my sources from that repository.

Since changes happening in my /home/ncvs might not affect the -STABLE
branch, before I build world, I always use:

	% cvs diff

in my /usr/src to see if anything is still changing in -STABLE.  If
the world seems to be broken, I CVSup my /home/ncvs again, run cvs
diff again in /usr/src to see if something has changed in -STABLE in
the mean time, wipe out /usr/obj and start all over again.

Yes, this is a lot of effort, and it might not save me from all of
them troubles that can happen when something *does* break in -STABLE,
but it seems to have saved me many times that a large commit was being
made in -STABLE exactly when I CVSup'ed my sources.

Of course keeping a local copy of the entire CVS repository is not
something that I do solely for purposes of 'avoiding breakage'.  The
source has proven itself useful to me in many many other ways.  Even
bearing all this in mind though, I cannot suggest that everyone keeps
their local CVS repository mirror.  Thats too much space to waste for
that extra feeling of 'hey, I have all the sources of FreeBSD from day
zero on my disk, and I can actually use cvsweb.cgi on my local Apache
to browse it and actually learn some stuff from it'.

Just my $0.02 :-)

-giorgos