Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 1999 22:17:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dedicated Servers and XFree86u

On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, Sean-Paul Rees wrote:
:->I was attempting to install PostgreSQL on a server today, and it
:->requires TK8.0. TK requires X. This particular server runs headless,
:->keyboardless, and is controlled 100% by remote. I'd rather not have X
:->installed, to save diskspace and any present/future security holes it
:->may open.
:->
:->How do I get the software I want, without having to install X; or is X
:->pretty much a necessity?

X isn't strictly necessary, but many thing need to have specific flags
set to turn off the requirements. However, if you want to run X
clients on the machine - the tcl/tk front end to PostgreSQL, for
instance, or xterm, or load, or ... - you'll need X installed.

For PostgreSQL (I'm looking at a 3.3-RELEASE machine), it looks like
you must have built it with USE_TCL=yes. This builds PostgreSQL 6.4.2,
and 6.5 is out, so you may have a new port which enables TCL by
default (that seems to be common).

Personally, I wound up installing X after the fact to get some X
client working - even on the headless servers - that I now just
install it by default.

	<mike