Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:45:21 -0500
From:      Sean Kelly <smkelly@zombie.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Random Lockups

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 03:20:27AM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 11:46:45PM -0500, Sean Kelly wrote:
> > I'm surry I don't have much data to provide, but...
> >=20
> > I've been experiencing random lockups on a -CURRENT kernel from the Aug=
ust
> > 5th source.  I've gotten it a lot when running screen and ssh on two
> > different terminals at the same time, but that is not the only time it
> > happens.
> >=20
> > Hardware is a 1.2ghz Thunderbird on an ABIT KT7-RAID
> > sure how to debug a full lockup.
>
> Is it actually a lockup, or does the system resume after 30 seconds or
> so?  I'm getting lots of the latter.

It looks like I spoke too soon.  It is not an entire system lockup, it is
merely a keyboard lockup.  It happens *every* time I change between virtual
terminals.

I've got the machine attached to a KVM, and every time I switch vtys the
keyboard locks.  If I switch to another machine on the KVM and then switch
back, the keyboard is unlocked again.  I figured it was the KVM, so I
removed the FreeBSD machine from the KVM.  It still did it, but instead I
had to unlock the keyboard by unplugging and then plugging the keyboard
back in.  So it isn't the KVM.

Again, every time I change vtys with ALT-Fx, the keyboard locks. I'm still
investigating it. I don't believe it is a hardware issue either, because it
doesn't happen when I press ALT-Fx outside of FreeBSD.  For example, if I'm
in the BIOS setup utility it doesn't lock the keyboard.  If I'm on ttyv0
and I press ALT-F1 (switching me to ttyv0), there is no keyboard lockup.
It only happens when the actual virtual terminal changes.  It is annoying
as hell and makes working impossible.

I'm still trying to find what date (source-wise) it started on.  IT seems
strange that nobody else has reported anything like this.  Makes me wonder
if I'm overlooking some hardware possibility.

--=20
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: 77042C7B
smkelly@zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org

For PGP key, send e-mail with subject "send pgp key"

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ--