Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 07:20:49 -0500
From:      "Gemini Domino 2001" <geminidominoubermensch@yahoo.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   dhcpd client: Wheres my hostname???

I seem to have dhcpd up and running setup okay, except for one small (and
extremely irritating) problem. When my WinBox/Linbox (same box, dual boot)
is assigned an IP from my FreeBSD dhcp server, There seems to be no way to
access it via hostname instead of ip.

i.e.
'ping 192.168.0.101'  works fine whereas
'ping ASGARD' returns "ping: cannot resolve ASGARD: Unknown host"

I know ASGARD has to be reporting its hostname, becaues its in the leases
file.

lease 192.168.0.100 {
  starts 5 2001/11/30 12:08:39;
  ends 5 2001/11/30 12:18:39;
  binding state active;
  next binding state free;
  hardware ethernet <address>;
  uid "<hash?>";
  client-hostname "ASGARD";
}

I am not sure, but I think the problem lies in this error that shows up
frequently in my log (since I do most of my server work via SSH, I have
ignored it until now).

"Nov 30 07:18:41 HEIMDALR dhcpd: if IN A ASGARD.dominion.us rrset doesn't
exist add 300 IN A ASGARD.dominion.us 192.168.0.100: timed out."

unfortunately, other than "timed out" I haevnt got the slightest clue on
what this means or how to fix it. Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance.