Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 23:31:12 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NO_TCSH issue

On Wed 2000-09-06 (15:41), Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:
> True, but there isn't a NO_SH option either and we all should know that it
> is required on many a system.  At least one shell *is* needed.

To provide a "BSD system", you need to have csh around.

> >"POLA" entails having /bin/csh that is csh-compatible.  NO_TCSH is for
> >people who don't want to build and install new versions of csh.  It
> >doesn't mean that you can run the system without it, and definitely
> >doesn't mean that you can remove it and expect things to build.
>
> I recall the csh/tcsh debate, but with NO_TCSH csh and the hardlink to tcsh
> neither are updated.  My logic says that if they are not updated, then why
> keep them around.
>
> >NOPERL is another example.  Try build your kernel without /usr/bin/perl.
>
> I disagree, as this is a poor example.  This option, and others, are used
> more by those that wish to have an up-to-date version.  Further, I could
> argue then it should be part of the build tools, if it is required.  And
> yes, I do know that perl is needed somewhere on the system or many things
> will go BOOM.

The existence of NO_TCSH is mostly for the same reason as the existence
of perl - "We have our own copy, don't overwrite it."  That's why
NO_SENDMAIL existed too.  You can't have a "functional" system without
/usr/sbin/sendmail of _some_ variety, but you could replace sendmail
with exim, postfix, or qmail, or a later version of sendmail, and you
don't want that clobbered.  It's almost exactly the same example.

There is a 44bsd-csh port for people who want old csh, and those people
don't want tcsh clobbering it.

> My question stems more from having a (eventually) truly modular system,
> which is why I question having a csh script.  For those that don't use csh
> other than one time upon install, it is just another file not being
> used.  Let's not get into another "which shell" debate, otherwise I'll have
> to request that ksh be in the base system.  With a NO_KSH option for those
> that don't wish it.  I would not ask that all scripts then use ksh. ;)

I can see where you're coming from, but you aren't allowed to complain
if you remove something that is there and something doesn't work.  If I
removed perl (because I hate it with a passion and think python rocks
the world (this is an example)), and my kernel compile or ports builds
break, I couldn't complain either.

> It boils down to if it required, then why bother having NO_? option for
> it.  Other options are somewhat dubious, as they are needed for various 3rd
> party software, but at least the system can be build without them.

I'm not against the rewrite in 'sh' if it is a function-for-function
replacement.  I do however think you're taking leaps in your argument
for not having /bin/csh at all.  I can think of a number of scripts from
ports that will break.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner