Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 12:30:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Diking out ports a.out support

Ade Lovett wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 02:51:43AM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> > I still don't see why we need to do this.  We already have the machanism
> > in place, so why not leave it?
>
> src/ has long since abandoned a.out -- it is only reasonable that
> now, especially after an extended period, ports/ follow.

This is incorrect:

FreeBSD widget.osd.bsdi.com 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Tue Aug  8 21:10:50 PDT 2000     jhb@widget.osd.bsdi.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/WIDGET  i386
> make 'CC=cc -aout -L/usr/lib/aout -shared' hello
cc -aout -L/usr/lib/aout -shared -O -pipe  hello.c  -o hello
> file hello
hello: FreeBSD/i386 compact demand paged shared library not stripped

Granted, this requires you to populate /usr/lib/aout, but that is not
overly difficult.  I have heard of people who use 4.0 aout only systems
in embedded work for some odd reason or another.  I can see why checking to
insure that ports work as both aout and ELF binaries are painful.  However,
ripping out all aout support seems drastic.

Also, just take a look in any of the sys/boot/i386/{boot*,*ldr} Makefiles to
see evidence of aout support as well.

--

John Baldwin <jhb@bsdi.com> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/