Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 1999 21:54:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        ad@psn.ie (Andy Doran)
Cc:        ambrisko@whistle.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adaptec 2940u2w hangs on external disks

Andy Doran wrote...
> > Andy Doran writes:
> > | I believe that this is an issue with CAM. I have a bunch of DEC RZ25 disks
> > | here which work fine with ULTRIX, NetBSD and Linux on several different
> > | machines. After upgrading from FreeBSD-2.2.6 to 3.0 (and -current)
> > | the system hangs on boot whenever an RZ25 is hooked up. This is with a
> > | crappy 'ol Adaptec 1542CP controller.
> >
> > Most DEC drives as shipped with DEC system do not spin up on power up
> > (for sure not in the era of the RZ25).  I recall that some DEC drives
> > had a jumper to select spin up on power up but I don't think all of them
> > did.  I think they was also a mode page switch.  I also recall that the
> > 1542 BIOS had options to send the command to spin up on power up.
> >
> By default, most of the old DEC RZxx disks don't spin up, yes. But these
> disks I do have spinning up (via the AHA BIOS). It's not any simple SCSI
> problem. Please don't take me the wrong way (i.e. this is an informational
> statement), but I do this for a living, and it's *not* a hardware
> problem. They work fine with all manner of cables, on DECstations with the
> NCR and the old SII controllers, PCs with various DPT RAID and Adaptec
> controllers, and FreeBSD 2.2.x with the old mach derived SCSI layer. They
> don't work with CAM for some reason.

1.  CAM will spin up any drives that need it once they're accessed.
2.  We suspect that there are problems with the aha driver.  See PR #10281.
3.  There are known problems with CAM hanging on boot.  Justin checked a
    possible fix into -current this afternoon, but we don't yet know
    whether this will solve the problem.

Since you seem to have so many other SCSI controllers, I'd be interested to
hear whether you have the same problem with those disk on another supported
controller.  That will tell us whether the problem is the aha driver or
something else.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry