Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 05:22:30 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
Subject:   Re: Disk bad sector question

On 19 May 2002, at 12:57, Axel Scheepers boldly uttered:

> On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 08:05:38PM -0700, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
> > Recently I started getting some read errors on some sectors on a SCSI
> > disk running 4.6-PRE.
> >
> > Indeed the host adapter BIOS utility shows some bad sectors, but
> > before I remap them I'd like to know what file(s) are using these
> > sectors.  Is there an easy way to do this?  I tried using dd to copy
> > the sectors and look at them but the data wasn't recognizable to me.
> > (it's in the /var filesystem)
> >
> > Thx,
> >
> > Phil
>
> Hi Philip,
>
> Normally the data will be mapped to another partion of the disk and the
> defective sectors will be added to the defective grow list.
> You might take a look at 'man camcontrol' to get some more control
> about your scsi devices, and to check those bad sector tables.
> Be very carefull using that, though, inproper usage can destroy your
> data.

Yep, I already used camcontrol to view the original and grown defect
lists after seeing these errors.

And I know I can try copying data to the sectors in question and
force them to be remapped, etc.  But I want to take a look at the
affected files first and recover as much as I can from them, before I
do that.  I didn't see how camcontrol would help in that respect.

I guess I'd be rather surprised if there is no way to figure out
which sectors are assigned to which inodes or files..

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium