Date:      Mon, 03 Jul 2000 17:14:25 GMT
From:      "Chris McNett" <chrismcnett@hotmail.com>
To:        zaid500@hotmail.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hi

After adding the user, type "chpass username" and edit the Expire date.

For free email, you have to set up a POP or IMAP server or write some sort
of web interface.  If you want to set up a service like that for everyone,
then you should probably forget it.  Hotmail and Yahoo! are already good
enough.  To make something like that would require a ton of cgi scripting
and stuff.  A service like that would take a lot of maintenance, too.  If
you just want email for some friends, then adduser them and tell them to log
in through telnet and use pine or elm.  If you want to have your FreeBSD
email show email from Hotmail or whatever, set up fetchmail
(/usr/ports/mail/fetchmail) to retrieve messages from Hotmail's POP or IMAP
server.

I hope that helps.