Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 1997 10:27:28 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MSWord docs...

Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:
> What's the latest technology on previewing MSword stuff under FreeBSD?
> I haven't been keeping up, I'm afraid...  I know we can currently handle
> postscript, pdf and acrobat, but word?  Thanks.

If it wasn't for the fact that it expires in 11 days, I would be
suggesting you grab the StarOffice suite (for Linux).  I have the
second-generation installer just about ready to go (I need net access
to a Linux machine with it installed to finalise some stuff thought),
but as the current beta expires so soon, I'm waiting to see whether
there's another beta coming or a 'full release'.

The wordprocess from StarOffice is an excellent Word clone, and reads
and writes Word documents quite well, modulo the odd font translation
problem.

> P.S. And no, I don't have a copy of Word for 3.1, so please don't
> even suggest WINE. :-)

If previewing is all you need, get the MS Word Reader and run it under
Wine.  It's a freebie from MS.