Date:      Mon, 09 Mar 1998 22:45:08 -0600
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley585.res.iastate.edu>
To:        ccsanady@iastate.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   (fixed) Was: Filesystem recovery procedures (please help..)

>After recent recently trying to install the cam patches,
>I seemed to have been left with a system that simply
>would not boot.  It would get to the place where it mounts
>root, and then ti would hang.  I have tried new kernels,
>cam kernels, recent kernels, old generic kernels, all without
>luck.  Anyways, I finally just went to reinstall(upgrade) to
>fix the problems.

I must have screwed up the device nodes here, I'm not really
sure what happened though. :\  Seems to work now after removing
them all and recreating them.  This is annoying to do from a
fixit floppy, because too many paths are hardcoded into
MAKEDEV. :(  Anyways I can now boot as well..

>Unfortunately, somehow, the install disk seems to have toasted
>the disklabels on both of my disks with very little effort. :(
>It did leave the bios partitions intact though.
>
>Can anyone please tell me how to go about recovering?  Will I
>need to manually grovel the disk for this information?  I also
>have ccds that contain my home dir, so I would like these back
>as well. I unfortunately do not have real recent backups, or
>a way of making them.

I seemed to have fixed the damage (after many painful hours...)
For anyone interested, this is how I went about it.  First,
I set a disklabel partition to include all the space in the
bios partition.  After you do this, you can use dumpfs on
the partition to figure out its length.  I've found that
fsck is a simple way to determine if the partition is/is not
part of a ccd, as it majorly complians. :)  After I have
found one, try the remaining space, etc, until there is none
left.  This seems fairly simple, if your partitions are
actually back to back.  Takes a while though..

Chris