Date:      Sat, 04 Nov 1995 09:59:52 -0800
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to get dial-on-demand PPP going?

When I was running Linux, I had this wonderful little utility that
turned my PPP connection into a "dial on demand" PPP.  That is to say, I
didn't always have to have the pppd online and using my telephone, but
rather, when my compuer wanted to do something with the network (say, I
ran my Web browser and opened up a url), the computer would say "ahh!
someone needs to use the ppp" and would dial the modem and establish the
ppp connection all automatically.  And, when I was done with it (say, I
remained "idle" and did not use any network services for X minutes) the
computer would drop my ppp connection, so that it wouldn't eat up
telephone charges, on-line fees, etc. when I was not doing anything with
it.

This was all done by a nifty program called diald.

I miss this capability in FreeBSD.  None of the FAQs or other documents
I could find breathes a word about dial-on-demand PPP, much less
ecplains how to do it.  I tried porting the diald program over to
FreeBSD, but it looks too Linux-specific and thus, difficult for me to
port.

I use the system-level PPP (ie. the ppp0 interface, and the pppd
driver).  I DO NOT use the user-level PPP (the one that uses the tun0
tunneling driver).

So does anyone know how to set this up in FreeBSD?  (I run
2.0.5-RELEASE).  I'd love to start receiving netnews with my machine,
and so I set up a schedule in CRON to try and fetch news every X hours,
but since I only have one phone line, which I have to share with a
busy/working roommate, I needless to say, can't keep the phone tied up
24 hours a day.

Thanks,
Donald
--