Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 13:47:28 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        rdmurphy@vt.edu
Cc:        Christopher Michaels - SSG <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>, wildcard@dax.belen.k12.nm.us, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd and MS Network Neighborhood

"Russell D. Murphy" wrote:
<snip>

> According to Kent Stewart (February 12, 1999):
> | I have also used the browser across switches and routers. You may have to
> | set your routers and etc. to pass the MS stuff. You also need a master
> | brower (NT preferred) in each segment.
>
> What MS stuff do I have to pass on?  I assume that the issue is
> whether or not the FreeBSD natd firewall passes this stuff on (?).
> I'll check as to whether or not there's something in samba (or a newer
> version of same) that will let me look across subnets.

I don't have any idea what they turned on. The equipment was all managed and
I didn't know there was a difference until I came to work one day and
couldn't get to one of my computers, which was on a different network, that
was collecting realtime manufacturing information. We went storming into the
network guy's office and told him that he had broken the manufacturing
networks. If I couldn't get in, they couldn't get out. He remarked that they
had changed some equipment over the weekend and because of the "keyword
sensitivity training" he had received in the past when they had done
something like that, he dropped everything to look into it. A few minutes
later he came in and asked me to try what I needed to do again and it
worked. Asked for an explaination, He spit out some networking jargon and
walked back to his office.

Enabling plant wide Netbeui browsing was once described to me as being only
one step better than enabling Apple talk or Novell over a major tcp/ip
network. They are all supposed to be exceedingly chatty and enabling them
plant wide supposedly required someone out of their friendly minds. In the
somewhat distant past, Microsoft's Master browser's have been known to
create broadcast storms, which could effectively stop a network if there
were enough of them around. If you pass the packets they emit during the
discovery process to your entire operation, you are in trouble. I have never
seen a broadcast storm because I was never involved in monitoring the
networks I used. The only thing I ever measured was the transfer rate for an
FTP session between a computer on a tcp/ip network to a computer using both
protocols on a Novell network. In that situation, the transfers typically
ran from 1/3 to 1/4 the speed of the same file being transfered over a pure
tcp/ip network. I always assumed that something was misconfigured. We
adjusted timeouts to compensate for the lower throughput in that situation.
This was all pre-WWW and all of the comments are probably meaningless at
this point.

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA