Date:      Tue, 14 May 1996 14:51:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@Think.COM>
To:        nate@sri.MT.net
Cc:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why so many ways to stay in sync?

   Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 11:38:29 -0600
   From: Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>

   CTM can't restore my repository if I do any of the following:
   1) Accidentally/purposefully delete some portions of CVS repository
   2) Only have a desire for certain 'parts' of the respository w/out
      needing everything.
   3) Modify portions of my repository

Yes, these are clearly failures of CTM.  Surmountable, however.
Has anyone given thought to how these problems should be addressed?

   RCVS is simply too slow, and too often I'm either
   off the net or my link is so slow as to be unusable.

I've been doing heavy work on a team project about the same size as
FreeBSD using RCVS for some time, and I'm *very* happy with it, at
28.8k.  Is there something better?  I would have expected sup'ing a
large repository to run much more *slowly* than an RCVS update, since
it passes whole files.  Is this a hacked sup, passing compressed
deltas?

   RCVS simply does work for me
   when I'm on the airplane. :)

Why is that?

   And, CTM won't work either since I often use CVS when on the airplane to
   keep track of my source.  So, when I come back from my trip, I dump out
   my log files, re-sup my repository and magically I can create a patch
   files against the 'stock' sources and what I've changed, plus I have my
   kept logfiles so I can create a log message for my patch.

I don't see the problem with ctm in this circumstance.  Please
explain.  For example, could you not update your repository using ctm
instead of sup, when you return, and create your patch files in
*precisely*  the same manner?

   I'm still pining for a
   version of CVS that incorporates automatic mirrored repositories, which
   would be the *best* solution for me.

I am confused.  CTM does this, if you use cvs-cur.  It maintains a
mirror repository on your local system.