Date:      Mon, 02 Sep 2002 15:51:03 +0200
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        magudexter <magudexter@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: k6 or i686 optimization on AMD Athlon?

magudexter wrote:

> I will probably use the i686 as you suggested. I
> wanted to know if the k6 support has more/better
> features than the i686 - I guess not.
>
> Btw do you know anything about the non exec feature on
> the i386 in FreeBSD - meaning that the stack no longer
> executes code; this is a great increase in security as
> it is the usual method for buffer overflows? Or do you
> know where to ask/look for it?

I have checked the assembly output using gcc 9.95.2, but
on a linux system. This compiler supports -march=k6-2, too.

Code quality (badest --> best)
i586
k6
i686
k6-2
k7

So if you must deside between k6 and i686 I'd recommend i686
for code quality.

But I tried both on a freebsd system with a k6-2 and get
the subjective feeling that k6 is little faster. So I think
it depends on what you wanna do with it.

Jens

> Thanks for the advices!
>
> --- Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org> wrote:
> > magudexter writes:
> > > Okay, but when will the gcc3.21 make it into the
> > > stable release?
> >
> > Dunno, but you can always install the port.
> > Considering that 4.7
> > is due out soon I don't think the release
> > engineering team is
> > going to import a new gcc. There was enough
> > controversy among
> > the -current crowd when gcc-3.2 was imported.
> >
> > > And until then, for the gcc-2.95.3
> > > (the one found in the stable version) what setting
> > you
> > > know works better:
> > > i686 or k6?
> > >

> > I used i686. The Athlon is more an i688 than an
> > i586.
> >
> > ---
> > Gary Jennejohn / garyj@jennejohn.org gj@freebsd.org
> > gj@denx.de

L     i  W     W     W  i                 Jens Rehsack
L        W     W     W
L     i   W   W W   W   i  nnn    gggg    LiWing IT-Services
L     i    W W   W W    i  n  n  g   g
LLLL  i     W     W     i  n  n  g   g    Friesenstraße 2
                                  gggg    06112 Halle
                                 g   g
Tel.:  +49 - 3 45 - 5 17 05 91    ggg     e-Mail: <rehsack@liwing.de>
Fax:   +49 - 3 45 - 5 17 05 92            http://www.liwing.de/