Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 22:01:48 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "Geier, Billy" <geier@spartan.com>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: tun0 flags

> On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Geier, Billy wrote:
>
> > Hi, I have my freeBSD box up and running but the manuals for PPP state
> > that the lun0 should be as follows:
> >
> > tun0: flags=8050<POINTOPOINT,MULITCAST> mtu 1500
> >
> > but mine has:
> >
> > tun0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULITCAST> mtu 1500
> >
> > what is the difference in the flags=8050 and 8010.
>
> Bits 4 (8) and 6 (32)?
>
> That is such a minor change I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Nope :-)  The number's hex and RUNNING is missing.  RUNNING is set by
the kernel after the interface is first brought up (contrary to my
other response to this ``thread'').

So, there's really nothing to worry about.  Once you run ppp using
this device, it'll get the 0x40 (RUNNING) bit.

> > When I run PPP the flags change to 8051. It also states that it can not

Yep, it's now UP & RUNNING :-))))

> > open the dev. I am using cuaa1 and the dev is in the /dev directory.
> > Please help as I am so close to getting a UNIX box that does dial on
> > demand. I have tried three flavors of Linux and then freeBSD. FreeBSD
> > was the quickest and easiest to install and some what to configure.
>
> You need to configure your modem's location and settings.

And when that side of things are straight, if things still fail, try
the latest ppp.  All that code should be tidied up somewhat now :-)

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;