Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 1996 17:33:15 +1000 (GMT+1000)
From:      Information Help Desk <info@adn.edu.ph>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Linux arp v.s. FreeBSD arp

HI !!!

	Recently we encountered a routing problem implementing a subnet
connected via SLIP. One of the difficulties was we can't change the
routing table of our router (W) connecting us to the INTERNET. One of our
host (T) acted as a gateway. The expected dilemma here was the subnet's
workstations could never access the INTERNET. From the subnet's
workstations, they can send packets but they never come back because
there is no route in our router (W) towards the subnet's workstations.
After quite sometime we figured that routing in the IP level would not be
feasible since we can't change the routing table of our router (W).
Instead, we used arp available in our host (T) gateway, running Linux, to
the subnet. We added an entry,

	arp -s <remote-addr> <ethernet-addr> netmask 255.255.255.240 pub

That solved our problem.

	This is Linux arp. I tried out FreeBSD's arp and discovered that
there is no 'netmask x.x.x.x' argument. I was wondering if our host (T)
gateway was running FreeBSD instead of Linux. How would FreeBSD have solved
our routing problem?

--
jf