Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 07:55:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Eric J. Chet" <ejc@gargoyle.bazzle.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendations...

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Hi...
>
> 	I'm going back to University in the spring, and wish to
> get together a nice system *before* I become a starving student
> again :)
>
> 	I'm interested in playing around with the SMP side of
> FreeBSD, since what I've read on the mail list seems to indicate
> that its relatively stable, altho still developing...
>
> 	I still haven't looked into costs yet, but would I be
> better going with a P6 vs a Dual-P5?  Does anyone have any
> recommendations on which motherboard for either I should be
> looking at?  make/model?  cache?
>
> 	On a costs note...which would I get more 'bang-for-my-buck'
> from?
Hello
	Dual P6s are not cost effective right now.  You can get
a dual P5, with adaptec 2490UW SCSI onboard, Triton-II, 512K
pipeline burst cache mainboard for $350.  It's a GigaByte
GA-586DX-512.  I believe  one of the SMP developers is using this
mainboard.  Check out http://www.atipa.com for a reseller.  This
board with two P5-133 would make a nice development system.

Peace,
                                              Eric J. Chet
                                               - ejc@bazzle.com