Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 01:43:43 +0200 (EET)
From:      Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Password hashing algorithm changed, what to do?

Hello all,

I updated several FreeBSD 2.2.x boxen to 3.2 and from there to 3.4-STABLE
with CVSup.  I installed new stuff in /etc and elsewhere with mergemaster
etc.  Almost everything seems to be running great.

However, it seems password hashing algorithm changed along the way; the
weird thing is, I can log on with SSH fine, but I can't log on from
console.  I believe these boxes might have used DES before, but now it's
the default (MD5 I believe) that comes with the standard source set.

Is there anything to be done short of changing all passwords?  Why does
ssh work, but console not?

TIA,
 Pekka