Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 14:37:04 -0500
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@math.udel.edu>
To:        Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com>
Cc:        David Berard <dbera@cybercable.tm.fr>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: parallel printer & nlpt0

I had the same printing problem myself, and the reason I heard that they
have the GENERIC kernel with 'net' on the ppc0 line is because it's
needed for PLIP to work.  The FreeBSD people want PLIP to work during
installation.  It would be nice if they could slip in an alternative
kernel during the installation that didn't have 'net' compiled in.  Or if
the net vs. tty could be toggled with a sysctl command, that would be
nice.

Vivek Khera wrote:

> DB> 2. modify the ppc entry in the kernel config file, and build a new
> DB> kernel
> DB>    --- device          ppc0    at isa? port? flags 0x40 net irq 7
> DB>    +++ device          ppc0    at isa? port? flags 0x40 tty irq 7
>
> Wow... this one does the trick for me!  I no longer user the
> lptcontrol -p method.  I was soooo close to buying a jet-direct card
> to drive this printer!
>
> It seems to me that the GENERIC file should have this updated, as
> that's the base from which I built my own config file.  The LINT file
> has "tty" rather than "net", so someone must have forgotten to
> propagate the change.
>
> Has anyone filed a pr for this or should I do it?

PETER SCHWENK                                    |  UNIX System Administrator
Department of Mathematical Sciences              |  University of Delaware
schwenk@math.udel.edu                            |  (302)831-0437 <-NEW!!!