Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 07:30:04 +0100 (MET)
From:      Peter B <pb@ludd.luth.se>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ffmpeg patches to enable bt878 tv-capture

Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 06:36:32 +0100 (MET)
>Peter B <pb@ludd.luth.se> wrote:
>
>	I hate to discourage but ...

I'll admit it's a quickfix. But it just simply refused to run..
Tired.., should have investigated more =)

>PB> This patch on the port "multimedia/ffmpeg" in the directory
>PB> ffmpeg/work/ffmpeg-0.4.6/libavformat
>
>	Should be avoided! Also note that you are patching a patch!

It's very few lines involved so it could easily be integrated to the ordinary
patch. The context format was just for convenience.

>PB> Fixes:
>PB>   Input mode to PAL.
>PB>   Input device to TV.
>
>	Read the Makefile - there are knobs for these, they are not
>fixes for SECAM camera users for example.

Found 'WITH_BKTR_FORMAT' in the ports makefile now..
However a commandline switch for format + source would be nice.

>	I think you mean 'as a non root user' none of it is kernel
>space code.

Yes.

>	Read only opens are in the version on ftp.sohara.org (see CALL
>FOR TESTERS).

The read/write flag seems to be the only thing preventing the program to run
as a normal user.

>PB>   Proper handling of open() failures.
>
>	It is supposed to continue after failing to open /dev/tuner0
>you have added a bug by exiting when there is no tuner.

Problem is that when there is a problem with the tuner, it won't tell. Maybe
there should be a fflush(stdout); instead.
My initial experience was that it could not open the tuner0 in RW mode and then
it just silently continued without turning on audio from the tunercard.

            /P